Buying / Selling a Building or Property
Due to the risk of spreading COVID-19, the Town of Boonton will suspend all home fire inspections until further notice. Those selling their houses should download the guidelines and application for home fire inspections here. While you cannot currently have a fire inspection, you can take the first steps by filling out and having the application form notarized. Please contact Marianne Marcello - firstname.lastname@example.org | 973-402-9410 ext. 630 - with questions.
Residential Rental Registration
By law, all residential housing/apartment(s) must be registered with the Town by AUGUST 1st of each year (§ 218-4).
2. Be sure to include all updated phone numbers and contact information.
3. Complete the required fields on page two of the form and sign.
4. Print legibly and spell the names correctly of ALL tenants, including children.
5. Tenant information MUST be supplied even if the tenants have not changed from the prior year.
6. Return the completed registration form along with the appropriate fee no later than August 1st.
7. Make the check payable to the “Town of Boonton”
|Three (3) or more housing units per building||$20 per unit|
|One (1) or two (2) housing units per building||$25 per unit|
|Owner-occupied unit only||No fee - $0|
Late or Non-Registration & Fines
Please know that as Owner in Fee, a late registration will place you in violation of Boonton’s residential property ordinance which is subject to a fine up to $2000. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and please do not hesitate to call should have any additional questions.
In 2016, the town began tracking code violations as they relate to rental properties. Our findings concluded that large numbers of violations were caused by well-intended renters who simply didn’t know town rules. This was especially the case with regard to recycling and waste / bulky item disposal.
To help prevent this from happening and help you educate your tenants BEFORE violations occur, we created a Boonton Renter's Guide. Please provide your tenants with a copy of this resource upon signing a lease.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.