Changing Your Name?

You will need a certified copy of your Marriage / Civil Union License to take to the Department of Motor Vehicles in order to change your name on your driver’s license.

If you choose to change your name, be sure to tell Social Security; and tell your employer about your name change too.  Making sure all your records are correct now means you’ll get the right Social Security benefits later.

To get a new Social Security Card, you will need identification that shows your old name and your new name, such as, a marriage certificate or divorce decree.

If you were born outside the U.S.A., you also need proof of U.S.A. Citizenship or that you are living in the U.S.A. legally.

The new card they send you will have your new name and the same number.  And it’s free.  You never need to pay for Social Security services like this.

The nearest Social Security office is in Parsippany.  Their address is

2200 Route 10 West ~ Parsippany, NJ 07950

You may also call 1-800-772-1213 for more information.