|Robert Presuto||School Superintendent||12/31/2017|
|Rosemarie Lynch||Recreation / Alliance Director||12/31/2017|
|Sergeant Steve Kairys||Boonton Police Liaison||12/31/2017|
|Alderman Cy Wekilsky||Governing Body Liaison||12/31/2017|
The Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse (GCADA) funds Municipal Alliances in all 21 New Jersey counties.
The Municipal Alliance network is made up of local, grassroots organizations which are comprised mainly of volunteers. This statewide network was established to assess needs, set priorities, develop plans and implement programs which form the foundation of New Jersey’s substance abuse prevention activities.
In Morris County, there are currently 28 Municipal Alliances operating which represent 33 of Morris County’s 39 municipalities. In total, Morris County receives $480,349 in funding for the Municipal Alliances from the Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.
How does an Alliance work?
- Established by the municipal governing body
- Members appointed by the municipal governing body
- Volunteers include local leaders, school officials, teachers, health officials, law enforcement officers, civic organizations, businesses and private citizens
- Activities overseen and coordinated by the Morris County Department of Human Services, under the authority of the County Mental Health/Substance Abuse Advisory Board (MHSAAB)
- Community needs assessments are done to determine priorities and develop prevention plans
- Plans approved by the County Alliance Steering Subcommittee (CASS) and the MHSAAB
- MHSAAB develops County a plan that submitted to the Governor’s Council after approval by the Freeholders
How are Alliances funded?
- Provided by the Governor’s Council through Drug Enforcement Demand Reduction (DEDR) Fines
- Fines are collected at the municipal level from persons convicted of drug-related offenses
- DEDR funds are used to help develop community focused substance abuse prevention programs
- Peer Leadership
- Project Graduation
- Giraffe Project
- Anti-Bullying Programs
- Yoga for Seniors
- Project Achieve
- Community Rap
- Teen Centers