Local News of Boonton Past
1941 - 1942
Dec 30, 1941 – The editor section had this to say, which could very well be said in today’s world (2017):
As “1942” looms on the horizon, our thoughts, our emotions are twofold; We are anxious and eager to greet a New Year, yet somewhat fearful of what is to come. The New Year brings with it a challenge to every one of us, a challenge to keep faith and to maintain the American Courage”
Jan 31, 1942 - The first air raid signal practice in Boonton took place. All traffic was at an absolute standstill and pedestrians were off the street. The streets truly seemed deserted, the cars all lined up to the curb and no one on the street except the auxiliary police and air raid wardens who were cooperatively handling the practice. Persons who had to stop their cars at the signal, were required, according to regulation, to seek shelter in the nearest building. Walter H. Baldwin was the chairman of the Local Defense Council.
Read more news here: 1942_Times_Bulletin
1942 - Trolleys rails removed from Main Street . The picture to the right shows the mayor, six ex-mayors, nine councilman and other prominent citizens of Boonton, welcoming the first trolley (1910)
To read the story of the Boonton Trolley, visit Gem of the Mountains Spring 2015.
The Boonton campaign for the Red Cross War Fund for 1944 was inaugurated at the Elks on February 28th.
According the chairman Mr. Neal, 140 workers have already volunteered their services to assist in the campaign. Boonton's meeting last night indicated the gratifying response to the call for volunteers and sent the Boonton drive off to a flying start.
Mrs. Grothmann, chairman of the Boonton, said that Prisoner of War Packages, said that William Van Orden of
Boonton Township, a prisoner of the Japanese in the Philippines, has been able to receive but one package and very few messages. In contrast to Thomas Allen, Warren Edris and James Beery, prisoners of the Germans, have received a package of food each week, clothes and games.
As of December 5, 1944, 887 Men and Women from Boonton serving in the Armed Forces.
There are 887 men and women now serving in the Armed Forces of this war; it was disclosed in the report of the Boonton Military Service Committee presented to representatives of member organizations. Of this number, 798 are men and 23 are women. As of this date, there are 10 who have been killed in action
World War II Veterans Welcomed Home - June 29, 1946
The people of Boonton organized a “welcome home” to the 952 Boonton men and women who served in the armed forces during World War II.
The two day event include a parade, ceremonies at the high school field, luncheon and a softball game.
Special service were held in all the Boonton churches on Sunday.
Read more about the celebration here: 1946_Times_Bulletin
Various routes of the Boonton Fire Department Labor Day parade during the 1940’s
(Note: The West Boonton Ball grounds was located behind where Dels Village is today - 2017)
The parade assembled at Cedar Street, marched to Main Street, to Washington Street, to Dawson Avenue, Holmes Street, Lathrop Avenue, Main Street, West Main Street where the Boonton Fire Department was inspected. The parade then proceeded to the West Boonton Ballgrounds.
Group Welcome Home, photo courtesy of Ernie Piscitello
The 1940 Buffalo was the last pumper that Boonton ordered prior to the beginning of World War II. The Board of Alderman acted quickly to procure a new engine for Harmony.
It was the first cream colored (called Croyden Cream) engine for the company.
The parade assembled on Green street, proceeded to Main Street, to Washington Street, to Dawson Avenue, to Lathrop Avenue, to Main Street, to West Main Street and to the West Boonton Ballgrounds. This was the 50th annual parade.
The 51st annual inspection and celebration of the Boonton Fire Department on Labor Day, for the first time in many years was a “community event” with no visiting fire companies and no fire competition between neighboring fireman. This is due to the tire shortage and the gasoline rationing for the duration of the war. What was lacking in visiting groups was well compensated with the Boonton organizations which participated in the parade. This year, the parade proceeded down Main Street. Assembling in West Boonton, the parade proceeded down Main Street, to Washington Street, To Dawson Avenue, to Lathrop Avenue, to Maple and disbanded on the John Hill field where the day’s events took place. (The reference to the John Hill field is where the present High School exist today – 2017)
Also due to the war, the first auxiliary fire department was formed and held meetings and drills at the Maxfield Engine House. This organization is still active today, but in 1990 changed its name to the Boonton Junior Fire Department.
The parade assembled at Green Street and proceeded to Boonton Avenue, to Spruce Street, to Cornelia Street, to Main Street, to Washington Street, to Dawson Avenue, to Old Boonton Road, to Monroe Street, to Madison Street, to Lathrop Avenue, to Main Street, to West Main Street and disbanded at the West Boonton Ballgrounds.
The parade this year formed in front of the New Jersey Fireman’s Home on Lathrop Avenue, the proceeded up Lathrop Avenue, to Main Street, to West Main Street and disbanded at the West Boonton Ballgrounds
The parade formed in front of the New Jersey Fireman’s Home on Lathrop Avenue, then proceeded up Lathrop avenue to Old Boonton Road, to Dawson Avenue, to Washington Street, to Main Street, to West Main Street and then to the West Boonton Ballgrounds.