Listed below are Boonton’s ordinances related to inclement weather, parking and the removal of snow / ice.
Important note: Please be sure you are signed up for alerts which are email and/or text messages from the Town. You can sign-up HERE, by clicking the "Notify Me" button on the home page or the "Sign Up" button on this page.
Snow Parking - (Full rules visit: §201-29)
- On-street parking is PROHIBITED between 10:00pm and 6:00am, prevailing time, when the streets are covered with at least three inches of snow. Snow is measured by the Shift Commander of the Boonton Police Department on the walkway in front of the flagpole at Town Hall on the Washington Street side.
- Parking is prohibited for eight hours after the precipitation ends.
Removal of Snow-Covered & Plowed in Vehicles - (Full rules visit: §201-30)
- Parking is prohibited beyond 24 hours after the street has been plowed of snow.
- The Police Department is authorized to have vehicles removed upon expiration of the 24 hours.
- Evidence of an unmoved vehicle is it being covered by snow and/or plowed-in with no indication that its tires have run through the plowed or covering snow.
Snow & Ice Removal - (Full rules visit: Article VI)
- Removing snow and ice keeps our sidewalks safe for walking during winter. If you are the owner or caretaker of a house, building or lot where there is a sidewalk, you must clear a three foot wide path for the entire length of the sidewalk within the first 12 hours of daylight after it stops snowing.
- Sidewalks must be kept clear of ice or made safe by covering the ice with sand or salt.
- It is illegal to displace your snow or ice onto the road or another’s sidewalk or property. Fines will be issued for each day these rules are not adhered to. If the Boonton Department of Public Works must clear a sidewalk where an owner or caretaker has not, a lien will be placed against the property.
Thank you for your cooperation in making Boonton a safer place, especially during inclement weather. Please direct all questions regarding the above ordinances to the Boonton Police Department at (973) 402-9371.