News‎ > ‎

Town News


Main St. & Church St. Parking Studies

posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:38 PM by Anthony Pisano

In 2016 the governing body approved studies to realize more parking on both Main Street and Church Street. Please download the results and related materials for each study below.

2017 Budget

posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:47 PM by Anthony Pisano

The Mayor and Board of Aldermen introduced the 2017 Municipal Budget at the March 17th meeting. For the first time, the finance committee employed a 5-year look back and 5-year look ahead on spending. Through this and other means, the Administrator/CFO, Mayor and committee worked diligently to limit an increase of the budget while continuing Boonton on a proactive path towards smart growth and efficient operations.

The 2017 municipal budget is $13,243,284 which represents a nominal 1.72% increase in the total general appropriations over the 2016 budget. To demonstrate its impact on tax payers, the average assessed home of $359,600 will see an increase of $4.65 per month ($55.80 for the entire year). While this is a slight increase, it is amazingly small in relation to ever increasing costs and all that we are accomplishing.

Please note that the 2017 budget only reflects the municipal portion or approximately 28% of your total tax bill. The remaining 72% +/- of your tax bill and any related increases are determined by the school district and the county.

The budget line item expenses that increased are attributable to maintenance contracts for upgraded police equipment, pension, and contractual salaries. It should be noted that all employees are contributing toward health insurance premiums in accordance with the state mandate and most other expenses remained flat or saw a slight reduction in 2017.

The Mayor and Board of Aldermen also continue to invest in the future by funding capital improvements. These include the road paving program, replacing computer equipment, purchase / maintenance of DPW, fire and police equipment, as well as improvements to municipal facilities and water infrastructure. The total anticipated improvements and equipment total (minus grant funding) is $838,800. This amount is in line with or below average across the last several years.

With projects like Avalon Bay (see above) and other developments bringing in over $700k+ in annual revenue to the Town, Boonton’s financial future looks bright. Our thanks to Terry McCue, Alderman Eoga, Alderman Price, and Alderman Wekilsky for the time taken on this budget. As well, thanks to our department heads for keeping the majority of spending at or below prior years.

Town Planner

posted Dec 20, 2016, 3:28 PM by Anthony Pisano   [ updated Dec 26, 2016, 8:41 PM ]

 After a public RFP and submittal from some of the top planning firms in NJ, the Planning Board and governing body are happy to welcome H2M as Boonton's new town planner. A bio of the firm including their proposal for Boonton can be viewed and downloaded below. Their website is www.h2m.com. This award winning firm will help the planning board and governing body as we continue to vet applications for development in Boonton and guide us through the critical work of revising the town's Master Plan (our vision for Boonton's development).

1-3 of 3