1946 – The Boonton Molding Company creates the first plastic dinnerware
After World War II many plastic manufacturing companies had to rethink their product line since they were no longer producing plastic for the war effort.
Boonton Molding Co. owner George Scribner decided to manufacture melamine plastic dinnerware that was popular with the U.S. Navy during the war because it was virtually indestructible.
In 1946, the Boonton Molding Co. started producing its own line of plastic dishes - Boontonware .
Boontonware helped transform Boonton from an obscure 18th century iron town to a common household name. Its popularity was due in part to its durability and relatively inexpensive price tag.
But the line of plastic dinnerware remains a popular item on the kitchen tables of America.
Nowadays, Boontonware is molded 400 miles west of Morris County in Ashtabula, Ohio, by GMR Technology, a plastics molding company that purchased the Boontonware name and rights to the molds in 2001.
Corner of Main and William Today
Courtesy of Lloyd Charlton
1946 - Schultz Park torn down
Built in 1918, Schultz Park was located on Main Street in the 500 block where Don’s Sandwich Shop and Bob’s Men’s Shop are located today.
The gazebo was built on land that was donated to the town in 1910 to be used as a park. The donor was General John S. Schultz, and the park was named after him. To be truthful, the park was not very park like. It was not a large, flat parcel of land.
It was a small, narrow parcel of land that dropped off steeply to Plane Street below. Yet articles written about the park at the time of its donation boasted its merits, “perpetuates a magnificent view”, “beautifying the town”, “keeping open one of the most picturesque views.” The general feeling was the park was a valuable addition to the town not for the property itself, but for the view that the property afforded.
The deeds for the property spelled out the conditions and covenants that would protect the property. The covenants would “run with the land and bind the successors, heirs, and assignees... the property is conveyed for public use or park purposes and that no structure shall be erected that will obstruct its view from Main Street.” Additionally, the deed stated, “Whenever the above conditions are not complied with, the title to the land... will revert to the heirs...of John S. Schultz.”
Find out how and why this park and gazebo were torn down: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Ym9vbnRvbi5vcmd8dG93bi1vZi1ib29udG9ufGd4OjE1NzE5MTQ0OTFhNjU5Y2I
World War II and impact to the Boonton community
Source: Lloyd and Terry Charlton
“It was a Sunday afternoon on December 7, 1941 and lots of people were at the Boonton High School field watching the local semi-pro football team, the Panthers, play football. Bill Bednar was watching the game and his friend came by and said to Bill, “We are at war.” To which Bill replied, “What did I ever do to you?” Then an announcement was made over the loudspeaker that Pearl Harbor had been bombed.”
During WWII, people proudly put a flag with a blue star in their front window so everyone in town knew if a family member was serving in the military. If a Gold Star was displayed in a front window, it indicated that a soldier had died in the line of duty defending his country
Everyone in America took the War very seriously and we understood the sacrifices the soldiers were making to keep us free. Military people were greatly honored by our generation and deservedly so. We didn’t ask for WWII but we certainly were not going to lose it.
Because meat was rationed, many people in Boonton began to raise chickens and even rabbits in their back yards. People were encouraged by the government to plant a “Victory Garden” to provide for their family’s need for fruits and vegetables.
This was a tremendous help to the government and one Internet site said that in 1946, when people suddenly stopped planting their victory gardens, there was a shortage of fruits and vegetables that year.
Many young families couldn’t afford to live independently while husbands went to war. Mothers and their small children often moved back home to live with their parents.
Rationing was placed on sugar, flour, butter, milk, cheese, eggs, coffee, canned goods – even silk stockings.
An average family’s income in 1940 was approximately $2,000 a year. Yet everyone was so patriotic they invested in War bonds to help fund the war. Bond stamps were sold for as little as 10 cents, and when the War bond stamp book was filled, the bond would be issued.
At the Royal Scarlet Grocery that Lloyd Charlton’s parents owned, they put pictures of soldiers in the window. (Pictured left)
“We called it the XYZ SOCIETY,” Alice Charlton Heaton said. “We had a big bulletin board and the guys would write to my mom at the store and the letters were posted on the bulletin board so everybody could read them.”
The Royal Scarlet Grocery was on the corner of Main and Highland
Courtesy of Lloyd Charlton
Below left, postcard of the Dam with the Royal Scarlet Grocery in the background. Right, today (2017)
16 of 51 Grandchildren of Boonton Couple Now in Our Armed Services
Of the 51 grand-children of Mr. and Mrs. Flaviano Di Edwardo, 16 were in the Armed Services. This undated photo shows 14 of them. Pictured from top left are: Alfred Di Edwardo; Patrick Di Edwardo; Clarence Di Edwardo; Albert Venturini; Augustine Bacchetta; Alfred Bacchetta; Lewis Ezzi; Benjamin Ezzi; Gabriel Ezzi; Emidio Cacciabeve; Alfred J. Di Edwardo; William Di Edwardo; Clarence Lasalandra; Angelo Lasalandra.
The article went on to say: “A service flag with 16 stars might well hang in front of the home of Flaviano and Annunziata Di Edwardo at 133 Morris avenue(*), for among their 51 grandchildren, that many are in the active service in the armed forces”. Mr. Di Edwardo came to this country from the Province of Abruzzi, Italy in 1905. He shortly sent for his two eldest sons and in 1912 brought his wife an remaining children here. (*) The couple’s home resided on Monroe St although their address was listed as Morris Ave in the telephone book at that time.
Semi Pro Football in Boonton
Every Sunday over 3,000 people would attend the games which were held at the Boonton High School football field. In an age before television, everyone went to the Panther games.
The South Boonton Field Club sponsored a team in 1940 called the Boonton Panthers also known as “The Black Cats”. This team played from 1940-42, and from 1946-50.
This picture is believed to be the 1940-42 team. Can you help name the players whose names are cut off from this clipping? If so, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Row one: fifth from left (#50) – Fred ?;
Row two (#12) - ?);
Row three (first player) ? Kline
A second Semi-Pro team sprang up in Boonton in 1941. Father Thomas H. Murphy, assistant pastor at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, introduced his Cross Club team. They were coached by Al Beradino with assistance from Coach Shriner of Boonton HS.
1946 - Boonton Panthers are State Champions
In 1946, the Panthers achieved the “Impossible Dream” – UNDEFEATED, UNTIED, AND UNSCORED UPON!
The November 29, 1946 edition of the Times Bulletin, states, “The Boonton Panthers, one of the greatest gridiron combines ever to come out of North Jersey, compiled the amazing feat of playing twelve games during the season just ended against top-notch gridiron teams of the State and defeating all their opposition to remain undefeated, untied and unscored upon.”
During a span of five years (1946-50), the Panthers records 39 wins, 7 losses, and 3 ties, annexing three North Jersey football titles, and losing but one league game in three years.
The Panthers scored 885 points during that span, allowing their opponents but 194 (about 4 points/game). Over the years, the Panthers were coached by Tony Ciardi, Bill Flynn, Butch Fortunato. The team was made up mostly of Boonton and Morristown men.
To read more about the championship team: 1946_Panthers
Teams wins the first championship title
From 1946 to 1950, the Cross Club/Crusaders complied a respectable record with 36 wins, 11 losses and 5 ties. They won the first championship title Morris County Football League title in 1947, going undefeated. In 1948, the name and sponsorship were changed to the Crusader AC. Other coaches other the years were Hank Benjamin and Mike DeArmott.
Front row (based on the lineup below): Doc Wiggins; Simms; Carey; Bob Benjamin; Mahoney; Bill Barnish (Captain); John ‘Birdie’ Hopkins; Sova; Nick Bevacqua; Bob Carter; Warren Gifford; Conover; Hank Benjamin (coach)
Middle row: Eddie ‘Pumpkin’ Hopkins (behind #15); Bernie Benjamin (behind #26)
Do you recognize anyone? If so, send an email to: email@example.com
PEOPLE of the 1940’s
This section is dedicated to the brave souls of Boonton who served our country during WWII.
It was a very patriotic time in America after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in December 1941 and the Germans declared war on us. People listened avidly to the news on the radio and read the newspaper daily (some newspapers had an evening edition as well). Since it was a time before television, people watched the newsreels on the giant movie screens and it was terrifying to watch the bombing of England and seeing our soldiers in battle.
More than 400,000 American soldiers died during WWII. They were our true heroes.
The following from Boonton (and surrounding towns) lost their lives for our country.:
You can read the stories of our brave men and women who served our country during WWII in Lloyd and Terry Charlton’s book “Boonton USA – WWII Stories. Copies for purchase available at the Boonton Historical society and Bobby’s News.
Local News of Boonton past
Dec 30, 1941 – The editor section had this to say, which could very well be said in today’s world (2017):
As “1942” looms on the horizon, our thoughts, our emotions are twofold; We are anxious and eager to greet a New Year, yet somewhat fearful of what is to come. The New Year brings with it a challenge to every one of us, a challenge to keep faith and to maintain the American Courage”
Jan 31, 1942 - The first air raid signal practice in Boonton took place. All traffic was at an absolute standstill and pedestrians were off the street. The streets truly seemed deserted, the cars all lined up to the curb and no one on the street except the auxiliary police and air raid wardens who were cooperatively handling the practice. Persons who had to stop their cars at the signal, were required, according to regulation, to seek shelter in the nearest building. Walter H. Baldwin was the chairman of the Local Defense Council.
Read more news here: 1942_Times_Bulletin
1942 - Trolleys rails removed from Main Street . The picture to the right shows the mayor, six ex-mayors, nine councilman and other prominent citizens of Boonton, welcoming the first trolley (1910)
To read the story of the Boonton Trolley, visit: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Ym9vbnRvbi5vcmd8dG93bi1vZi1ib29udG9ufGd4OjczY2YwNDU1MTZlY2E5NDE
February - The Boonton campaign for the Red Cross War Fund for 1944 was inaugurated at the Elks on February 28th.
According the chairman Mr. Neal, 140 workers have already volunteered their services to assist in the campaign. Boonton's meeting last night indicated the gratifying response to the call for volunteers and sent the Boonton drive off to a
Mrs. Grothmann, chairman of the Boonton, said that Prisoner of War Packages, said that William Van Orden of
Boonton Township, a prisoner of the Japanese in the Philippines, has been able to receive but one package and very few messages. In contrast to Thomas Allen, Warren Edris and James Beery, prisoners of the Germans, have received a package of food each week, clothes and games.
Read more about the Boonton Red Cross here: 1944_Times_Bulletin
December - as of December 5, 1944, 887 Men and Women from Boonton serving in the Armed Forces.
There are 887 men and women now serving in the Armed Forces of this war; it was disclosed in the report of the Boonton Military Service Committee presented to representatives of member organizations. Of this number, 798 are men and 23 are women. As of this date, there are 10 who have been killed in action
World War II Veterans Welcomed Home
June 29, 1946 –
The people of Boonton organized a “welcome home” to the 952 Boonton men and women who served in the armed forces during World War II.
The two day event include a parade, ceremonies at the high school field, luncheon and a softball game.
Special service were held in all the Boonton churches on Sunday.
Read more about the celebration here: 1946_Times_Bulletin
Group Welcome Home photo
Various routes of the Boonton Fire Department Labor Day parade during the 1940’s
(Note: The West Boonton Ball grounds was located behind where Dels Village is today - 2017)
1940 – The parade assembled at Cedar Street, marched to Main Street, to Washington Street, to Dawson Avenue, Holmes Street, Lathrop Avenue, Main Street, West Main Street where the Boonton Fire Department was inspected. The parade then proceeded to the West Boonton Ballgrounds.
It was the first cream colored (called Croyden Cream) engine for the company.
1941 – The parade assembled on Green street, proceeded to Main Street, to Washington Street, to Dawson Avenue, to Lathrop Avenue, to Main Street, to West Main Street and to the West Boonton Ballgrounds. This was the 50th annual parade.
1942 – The 51st annual inspection and celebration of the Boonton Fire Department on Labor Day, for the first time in many years was a “community event” with no visiting fire companies and no fire competition between neighboring fireman. This is due to the tire shortage and the gasoline rationing for the duration of the war. What was lacking in visiting groups was well compensated with the Boonton organizations which participated in the parade. This year, the parade proceeded down Main Street. Assembling in West Boonton, the parade proceeded down Main Street, to Washington Street, To Dawson Avenue, to Lathrop Avenue, to Maple and disbanded on the John Hill field where the day’s events took place. (The reference to the John Hill field is where the present High School exist today – 2017)
Also due to the war, the first auxiliary fire department was formed and held meetings and drills at the Maxfield Engine House. This organization is still active today, but in 1990 changed its name to the Boonton Junior Fire Department.
1946 – The parade assembled at Green Street and proceeded to Boonton Avenue, to Spruce Street, to Cornelia Street, to Main Street, to Washington Street, to Dawson Avenue, to Old Boonton Road, to Monroe Street, to Madison Street, to Lathrop Avenue, to Main Street, to West Main Street and disbanded at the West Boonton Ballgrounds.
1947 – The parade this year formed in front of the New Jersey Fireman’s Home on Lathrop Avenue, the proceeded up Lathrop Avenue, to Main Street, to West Main Street and disbanded at the West Boonton Ballgrounds
1948 – The parade formed in front of the New Jersey Fireman’s Home on Lathrop Avenue, then proceeded up Lathrop avenue to Old Boonton Road, to Dawson Avenue, to Washington Street, to Main Street, to West Main Street and then to the West Boonton Ballgrounds.
AD’s - 1940’s
150th - Town History >